Thursday 10 September 2015

Prawn, Courgette and Chilli Spaghetti

What would you say is your least favourite vegetable? Mine has got to be cauliflower. I'm a very unfussy eater so it's quite unusual for me to really dislike something but cauliflower has to be the one thing I try to avoid at all costs. N has slightly more things on his vegetable black list. Taking the number one slot is definitely courgettes. I can understand his dislike. If a courgette is not cooked properly it can taste pretty bad. I have distinct childhood memories of boiled, mushy, bland courgette. The problem is after a while you get bored of the same vegetables on your shopping list, so over the years the humble courgette has become one of my staples. The challenge is hiding it in food so N will eat it! Up till now I've only ever used it in stir fries and casseroles but I've finally found a winning recipe! It's taken 6 years but I think N has finally accepted that he does like this summer squash relative of the cucumber. Perhaps if I refer to it as a zucchini from now on he will find it even more appealing!! 

Prawn, courgette and chilli spaghetti
(Serves 2 | Total prep and cooking time: 20-30 mins)


Ingredients:

4 cloves of garlic - finely chopped 
1 red chilli - deseeded and finely chopped
250g cooked jumbo king prawns 
1 courgette - thinly sliced using a mandolin or a potato peeler 
Juice of half a lemon
Tablespoon chopped parsley 
Olive oil for frying 
120-150g spaghetti 

Method:

- Cook the spaghetti according to instructions on packet 
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or sauté pan 
- Fry the garlic and chilli
- Add the courgettes and prawns and pan fry for a couple of mins 
- Add the lemon juice and parsley and stir well
- Drain the spaghetti and add to the pan 
- Mix well and cook for a couple of minutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!