Wednesday 12 November 2014

An Indian meal in one pot

For NaBloPoMo November 2014 my challenge is to upload a post every day thoughout the month. That's 30 days and 30 posts. The more page views I get per day the more money I will donate to the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT). Help support my challenge by logging on daily and donating directly www.chect.org.uk. 

Yesterday's total views: 68

I decided to try something new tonight. I had decided on prawns but I am bored of the usual stir fry or paella. My mum makes a great prawn pilau so I thought I'd have a go. I'm quite impressed with the result, probably not quite as good as hers but a pretty decent weeknight meal nevertheless. N is home late tonight so his plate is in the food warmer, fingers crossed he is as impressed as me! 

Prawn Pilau
(Serves 2 | total prep and cooking time 45 mins)


Ingredients

For the marinade - 2 tablespoons plain youghurt, 1 teaspoon cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, pinch cayenne pepper, pinch garam masala, juice of 1/2 lemon  

For the rice
- 200g cooked prawns
- 1 small onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger - finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes - chopped
- 1/2 chilli - finely chopped
- 8 mushrooms - sliced 
- peas (however much you want) 
- 120-150g basmati rice (6 handfuls)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder 
- tablespoon chopped coriander 
- salt to taste 

Method
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl
- stir in the prawns and make sure they are evenly covered by the marinade. Set aside
- cook the rice until 3/4 cooked (still slightly firm to taste)
- Fry the onions in a sauté pan. Add the garlic, ginger and chilli and fry until brown
- Add the tomatoes and fry until the tomato softens and the juice separates 
- Add the mushrooms and peas and stir
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika and tumeric and mix well. Fry for a few mins until it starts to take some colour 
- Meanwhile in a separate frying pan heat some oil and fry the prawns until the marinade dries out and the prawns start to turn brown 
- Add the prawns to the sauté pan and stir well
- Add the coriander and salt to taste. Stir
- Add the rice and a little water and mix well. Simmer until the rice is cooked 
- Serve with yoghurt


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!