Sunday 16 November 2014

Spicy potato toasties

For NaBloPoMo November 2014 my challenge is to upload a post every day thoughout the month. That's 30 days and 30 posts. The more page views I get per day the more money I will donate to the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT). Help support my challenge by logging on daily and donating directly www.chect.org.uk. 

Yesterday's total views: 64

I'm having a seriously lazy day today. So much so that as soon as I finish this post I am straight off to bed, so forgive me if it's short! It was such a lazy day that the thought of slaving over the cooker to make a decent meal just did not appeal. N and I racked our brains as to what we could make that was either no effort at all or seriously speedy. I suggested frozen pizza, but N's face it not reciprocate my enthusiasm. N fancied seafood soup, which although requires some prep and cooking it is pretty quick, but the thought just didn't appeal to me. Sadly we only had one chicken kiev in the freezer as Waitrose were out of stock yesterday. Finally I decided on a great fail safe often used by our mums. A dry Indian spiced potato dish made into a toasted sandwich. Now normally the potato dish will be left over from dinner the night before but sadly that was not the case so I had to make it, but even still it was pretty effortless and very very tasty. Unfortunately I still have to do the washing up, sadly there's no short cuts for that one. 

Spiced potato toastie 
(Makes 3 toasted sandwiches | total prep and cooking time 40-45 mins) 


Ingredients
- 2 large or 3 medium potatoes - peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- approx 100g green beans - chopped into 1 inch pieces
- oil for cooking
- teaspoon of whole cumin
- teaspoon of black mustard seeds
- teaspoon paprika
- teaspoon cumin powder
- teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt to taste 

Method 
- Par boil the potatoes, drain and set aside
- heat the oil in a sauté pan and add the whole cumin and black mustard seeds
- Once they turn slightly brown and start 'popping' add the potatoes and beans 
- Stir well
- Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, paprika, turmeric and salt and stir
- Pour in approx 100ml water, stir, cover and simmer for 5-7 mins untill the potatoes and beans are cooked and the water has dried out
- make into toasties and serve with yoghurt and slalad 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!