Saturday 8 November 2014

British Sausage Week

For NaBloPoMo November 2014 my challenge is to upload a post every day thoughout the month. That's 30 days and 30 posts. The more page views I get per day the more money I will donate to the Childhood Eye Cancer Trust (CHECT). Help support my challenge by logging on daily and donating directly www.chect.org.uk. 

Yesterday's total views: 58 

So apparently this week is British Sausage Week. Part of me thinks we are getting a bit carried away. There's always some national day or week or month. I know that's very hypocritical seeing that I am writing this post as part of National Blog Posting Month. I mean today is apparently national X-Ray day and tomorrow is national tongue twister day! Next Thursday (13th) is one I particularly like...national kindness day. But I've thought of some new ones of my own. How about national stay in bed day? Or national say-what-you-think day, now that could he dangerous. But national food days or weeks are fun. Particularly for lesser used foods like turnip! Sausage is not a food that I need a special week for though, I am quite happy to cook them all the time, but I did use this opportunity to do something different with them. Instead of my usual sausage and bean cassoulet or toad-in-the-hole I decided to try making meatballs. I read a tip that a great way to make pork meatballs it to use sausages. And it worked.  These meatballs are easy, tasty and different. Try them tomorrow, on the last day of British Sausage Week. 

Pork meatballs
(Serves 2 generously | total prep and cooking time approx 50-60 mins + 30 mins refrigeration time)


Ingredients 
- 6 good quality pork sausages
- handful chopped thyme 
- 1 onion - diced
- 3 cloves of garlic - finely chopped
- 8 - 10 closed cup mushrooms - sliced
- 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- handful chopped parsley
- 200ml chicken or vegetable stock

Method
- Cut the skin off the end of each sausage and score down the edge. Peel away the skin and slip out the sausage meat into a large bowl. Once you have the meat from each of the 6 sausages mash them together with a fork and sprinkle with cracked black pepper and chopped thyme. Portion off a section of the meat and roll into a ball approximately half the size of a golf ball (or bigger if you prefer) 
- Place the meatballs on a tray and sprinkle with flour. Place in the fridge for at least 30 mins 
- Fry the onions and garlic in a sauté pan until soft and golden
- Add the meatballs and fry until brown on the outside 
- Add the mushrooms and fry for a mins
- Add the tomatoes and stir well, cook for a few minutes
- Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer. Cook on a low heat for approximately 20- 25 mins or until the meatballs are cooked. Add more water if the sauce is drying out
- stir through the parsley and serve with rice and vegetables or spaghetti

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do leave a message about this post or about anything else. I know it's a bit time consuming sometimes but I do love to hear from you!